California Department of Education Information and Resources
Highlighted information and resources from CDE and System of Support Technical Assistance Partners related to Special Education.
CDE Organization Information
- Department Offices and Web Pages
An overview of the entire California Department of Education (CDE) showing branches and divisions.
- Contact Information
Physical location, phone number, listserv, and other general contact information regarding the California Department of Education.
- FMTA Consultant Assignments by Region
The Focused Monitoring and Technical Assistance (FMTA) Consultants are assigned geographically and by quality assurance activity to align with the eleven California County Superintendents Educational Services Association (CCSESA) regions.
Special Education Related Official Communication and Question/Answers
- Assembly Bill 130 Independent Study Frequently Asked Questions (1/20/22)
Frequently Asked Questions related to Assembly Bill 130
- Implementation Tool: Guidance on Diagnostic and Formative Assessments (July 7, 2020)
Offers many tools and strategies for taking a snapshot of students’ learning.
- Guidance Regarding Regulations for Special Education Compliance Complaints (June 26, 2020)
The purpose of this memo is to provide guidance on some key clarifications and/or changes in the state regulations.
- Distance Learning Innovations for Special Education
California Department of Education (CDE) stakeholder workgroup gathered innovative strategies, ideas and resources that others have found successful as they provide access to students with disabilities in distance learning and the imminent reopening of schools. (Spring 2020)
Special Education Related Advisory Commissions/Committees
- California Advisory Commission on Special Education (ACSE)
The Who, What, Where, When, and Why of the Advisory Commission. The Commission is an advisory body required by Federal (20 USC 1412[a]) and State Statute (EC 33590-6). The ACSE provides recommendations and advice to the State Board of Education, the State Superintendent of Public Instruction, the Legislature, and the Governor in new or continuing areas of research, program development and evaluation in California special education. Upcoming meeting agendas and past recordings are available.
- WorkAbility I (WAI): State Advisory Committee
The WAI program is a California transition program funded and administered by the CDE. The WAI program provides comprehensive pre-employment skills training, employment placement and follow-up for high school students with an Individualized Education Program (IEP) who are making the transition from school to work, independent living, and postsecondary education or training. Upcoming and past meeting agendas are available.
Publications and Informational Material
- Special Education - CalEdFacts
This content is part of California Department of Education's information about special education in the State of California.
- The EDge Newsletter
Informing and supporting parents, educators, and other service providers on special education topics, with a focus on research-based practices, legislation, technical support, and current resources.
Innovations in Special Education Webinar Series from the California Department of Education
- Related Services, Students with More Significant Disabilities, and Low Incidence Supports
(April 30, 2020)
- Addressing Mental Health and Behavior - Facebook version (April 23, 2020)
- How to Stay Engaged With Young Students as well as Older Teenagers in Transition While Our Physical School Sites and Employers Are Closed (April 16, 2020)
- Engaging Families (April 9, 2020)
- Best Practices in Distance Ed for Students with Special Needs (April 2, 2020)
- Deaf Education Distance Learning (May 14, 2020)
- Universal Design for Learning (April 24, 2020)
Notes from the Webinar